After spending 20 years in the online dating industry, I know that trying a new dating site can be intimidating. I thought I’d let you know that I recently signed up for a new online dating site, Cupid.com and I wanted to share some of my experiences with you.
While everyone is familiar with Cupid, the God of Love worldwide, perhaps you didn’t know that Cupid is one of the biggest dating sites in the UK.
Cupid has now made its way to the US to match up singles stateside!
Here are a few of my favorite things about Cupid so far:
• New Faces: Since I started using Cupid a few weeks ago, I’ve already seen the site grow extensively. In the LA area I’m seeing and chatting with great guys, and more are joining every single day.
• Exclusive Events: Cupid hosts great events so that you can make the most of your online and social life! This month they are hosting exclusive screenings of sci-fi thriller Coherence in LA on June 19th, along with a fun pre-party so all the singles can mix and mingle. You’re invited to join in on the fun and bring a friend as well! I’ll be on site providing free dating advice for singles looking for love online.
• Mobile Dating App: It’s easy to communicate and flirt with Cupid.com’s mobile app. Download the app here:
P.S. Cupid is offering a $12 rate for one full year of membership for a limited time.
To RSVP for the Coherence film and VIP party, register here.
What: Coherence Film party in Los Angeles
When: June 19th, 5:30pm party followed by 7:30pm Screening
Where: Party: Good Luck Bar and Screening at the Vista Theatre
Cupid.com is hosting this event, so grab a single friend and RSVP to get your name on the list!
Cyber-Dating Expert is a paid Spokesperson for Cupid.com for the #SetLoveFree promotion. All opinions are our own.
Photo credit: Fotolia.com
What’s more fun that finding love and going to a fun Hollywood party when you’re single?
Our friends at Cupid.com are hosting a screening for singles to the film Coherence in Los Angeles for some of their lucky members the night before it opens and they’ve asked us to spread the word for them!
In their Set Love Free promotion, Cyber-Dating Expert readers will get to attend this event for one of the best sci-fi films of the year.
If you sign up now and for tickets to the pre-screening of the Coherence movie, you also get invited to their private pre-party, with some cast members and free food and drinks.
About Coherence the movie:
On the night of an astrological anomaly, eight friends at a dinner party experience a troubling chain of reality bending events. Part cerebral sci-fi and part relationship drama, this film is a tightly focused, intimately shot film that quickly ratchets up with tension and mystery.
Watch the Trailer
Here are the details:
Where: Pre-Party: Good Luck Bar, 1514 Hillhurst Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90026; Screening: Vista Theatre, 4473 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles, CA
When: Thursday, June 19, 2014; Party at 5:30pm, Screening at 7:30pm
Why: Because Cupid.com is launching in Los Angeles!
RSVP: http://www.evite.com/event/0355VMUVMIAQ6I7C6EPD3GX2XP5VBI before it fills up!
Cyber-Dating Expert is working with Cupid.com as a paid spokesperson for their #SetLoveFree program.
When you’re single and are on an online dating site, you spend hours-and-hours often answering questions to find a compatible match.
When it comes to physical activities, most men I know who are huge skiers, won’t date a woman who won’t play in the snow with them.
In conjunction with the Sochi Olympics, PlentyOfFish looked at 50,000 of their single members to find out which sports fans will get lucky in love and which activities were the best turn-on?s.
The survey showed that nearly 1 in 2 single men are watching the Olympics because the athletes are sexy, and roughly 1 in 3 single women admit to watching a sport purely for the sex appeal.
POF found that snowboarding and ice hockey were considered the sexiest Winter Olympic Sports by the single women, while the majority of men preferred figure skating.
It was no surprise that the top ranked most handsome male athlete was Olympic snowboarder Bode Miller.
The Top 5 Sexiest athletes at Sochi from the singles survey include:
- Bode Miller (Skiing) 22.4%
- Henrik Lundqvist (Hockey) 15.6%
- Charlie White (Figure Skating) 6.1%
- Bobby Brown (Skiing) 3.4%
- Shani Davis (Speed Skating) 1.4%
Top 5 Sexiest Female Athletes Competing at Sochi:
- Lolo Jones (Bobsleigh) 14.9%
- Linn Haug (Snowboarding) 14.2%
- Anna Fenninger (Skiing) 11.2%
- Anna Sidorova (Curling) 10.8%
- Tina Maze (Alpine Skiing) 8.6%
Other findings include:
- Snowboarding and Ice Hockey are considered the sexiest Winter Olympic sport by single women, each earning 27.3% of the votes
- An overwhelming 43.6% of single men consider Figure Skating to be the sexiest Winter Olympic sport
- Men and women agree that curling is the least attractive Winter Olympic sport ? (41.7% of women and 28.3% of men)
- 49.1% of singles consider Beach Volleyball the sexiest Summer Olympic sport
- 51.9% of singles consider Weight Lifting to be the least attractive Summer Olympic sport
So how does this relate to your dating life?
PlentyOfFish found the following statistics:
- Singles who share a love of Hockey are 440% more likely to form a relationship
- Singles who share a love of Skiing are 380% more likely to form a relationship
- Singles who share a love of Swimming are 280% times more likely to form a relationship
- Singles who share a love of Biking are 280% times more likely to form a relationship.
So what’s the answer? Start spending more time outdoors if you want to find a relationship. Go to sports bars and watch hockey games, take a ski lesson, and wipe the dust off the bicycle that’s sitting in your garage.
Do you enjoy outdoor activities with a date?
Your comments are welcome.
Julie Spira is an online dating expert and founder of CyberDatingExpert.com. She creates Irresistible Profiles for singles on the dating scene. For more online dating advice follow @JulieSpira on Twitter and sign up for the free Weekly Flirt newsletter.
On an added note, there will be a full moon on Valentine’s this year, so if you’re thinking about leaning in for that first kiss, don’t be shy. A full moon can bring out the romance just about any time of the year.
We’ve been busy at Cyber-Dating Expert Headquarters helping singles find love online with our Irresistible Profiles and being interviewed in the media for the latest digital dating trends for 2014.
With out further digital ado, here are some of our articles to bring the love back in your life.
From riding the Ferris Wheel to a scavenger hunt, find out why in-room-dining at home can be one of the most romantic ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day, regardless of your relationship status.
Being single on Valentine’s isn’t the end of the world. Sure you go into stores and see nothing but boxes of red candy and roses throughout the grocery stores, but a new survey from U.K. online dating site Smooch.com shows that only 10% of the 2000 singles polled actually love Valentine’s Day. Are the other 90% pretending to go along with the program?
Researching dates can prevent a romance scam this Valentine’s Day. Nothing is more important than being safe and knowing who your date really is to protect your heart and your wallet. Read my seven tips on how to be safe this Valentine’s Day and find out who’s doing the searching.
From Twitter to Facebook, Pinterest to Instagram, find out what to post, or not to post on your favorite social networks.
DON’T: Tag your new boyfriend on Facebook. Chances are he hasn’t told his buddies and work pals about his Valentine’s plans.
DO: Post a photo if you’ve received flowers, a fun gift, or of the dessert at dinner. Everyone loves to view the photos and will cheer you on with ‘likes.’
DON’T: Post your Happy Valentine?s message on your date’s wall. Saying you can’t wait until the evening together should remain private. Remember, a simple post may be innocent. However your friends might wonder what kind of wild night the two of you will be having. Or worse yet, his ex-girlfriend might start posting inappropriate comments to ruin your evening.
DO: Send a digital gift, such as his or her favorite band on iTunes, an e-card, or a redeemable gift card to a store or restaurant.
DON’T: Send a musical montage of ‘I Love You’ songs if you haven’t said those three little words yet.
DO: Ask for permission before you post anything online. Remember you’re creating a permanent digital footprint and your status and photos can be shared, even by people you don’t know.
DON’T: Overshare. Remember, many of your friends are single and may not be enjoying the day.
DO: Make an exciting announcement. If you become engaged on Valentine’s Day, your friends will want to know.
DON’T: Change your Facebook relationship status to ‘In a Relationship’ until both of you have had the talk and agree to be on the same digital page.
Do you have any social media rules for Valentine’s Day?
Wishing you much love and joy in cyberspace, or wherever you may roam this Valentine’s.
Getting ready to dress up for Halloween?
Nothing gets you more in the mood for this fun holiday than putting on some great music as you put your Halloween costume together.
Here are 10 Classic Halloween songs to hum to all day long.
1. Ghostbusters – Ray Parker Jr. – The title theme from the soundtrack film will fill you with laughter on Halloween
2. Spooky – Classics IV – One of my favorites, because it’s about love and romance.
3. Frankenstein – The Edgar Winter Group - No vocals, but the title alone merits its inclusion on the list this Halloween.
4.Monster Mash – Bobby “Boris” Pickett - You might not know who the artist is, but you’ll certainly recognize the song. No Halloween party would be complete without this seasonal favorite.
5. Witchy Woman – The Eagles – The mystery of the woman in this song made it a hit for the Eagles. Enjoy this live version.
6. Witch Queen of New Orleans – Redbone - Another personal favorite that I enjoyed playing on the radio. You’ll be humming Marie, Marie, da voodoo veau, she’ll put a spell on you.
7. Black Magic Woman – Santana – This song by Carlos Santana will always will be an incredibly sexy and classic tune that will never go out of style.
8. I put a Spell on You – Credence Clearwater Revival (CCR) – This bluesy song is one of my favorites.
9. Wherewolves of London – Warren Zevon – Although he is resting in peace, the Wherewolves will always be around to help us howl during Halloween and Warren continues to make us laugh.
10. Thriller – Michael Jackson - No Halloween would be complete without the excitement of this thrilling b bestselling song from the late King of Pop.
Honorable mention: Time Warp from Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Do you have any other favorites to add to this list? Best wishes for a happy, spooky, fun and flirty Halloween from your friends at CyberDatingExpert.com
Follow @JulieSpira on Twitter
Internet dating has evolved from the early days of chat rooms and dial up Internet to high-speed wireless Internet and now to a social dating experience. From getting dating advice on Twitter from @Match or @eHarmony to checking out your potential date?s Facebook page, while still chatting on the phone with him or her, digital dating has ramped it up a big notch.
Let’s face it. You?re hanging your digital hat on Facebook and Twitter a bit more often than logging into your online dating account, and with good reason. You like to see what your friends are up to and cheer them on with an occasional like or two. Staring at Selfies photos can be fun, and watching someone change their relationship status is a golden moment.
Most online dating sites are now entrenched with social media allowing you to upload your photos directly from Facebook and even using the like button for people to vote on their favorite photos of you. This is quite helpful as you can and should change your photos around a bit. If you notice that some are getting more attention, then they?re keepers.
When Facebook launched their Social Graph search in January, I spoke with USA Today. The article, Facebook Unleashed Cupid Potential came out while many of the Internet dating executives were at the Internet Dating Conference.
I was quoted as saying:
Dating norms, however, have already taken root on Facebook. People have long-perused the photos and postings of members in the game of attraction, says Julie Spira, a digital-dating maven who runs CyberDatingExpert.com.
“It’s the world’s largest social network, and they could be the world’s largest dating network if they want to go there,” Spira said.
No longer could online dating sites and singles ignore the big digital gorilla in the room. A few weeks later, we debuted Facebook Love Stories, featuring real world couples who met or reconnected on Facebook and fell madly in love.
Cyber-Dating Expert friend Cliff Lerner, the CEO of Are You Interested wrote an interesting piece in Huffington Post entitled, Why Facebook Graph Search Will Make Online Dating Cool.
I have to agree with Lerner. There are some that still think there?s a stigma with online dating, but have no problem contacting other singles on Facebook chat. This my friends is social dating at its best.
At the end of the digital day, you need to cast a very wide net. If you?re uncomfortable saying that you?re an online dater, tell people that you?re a social dater. Do whatever it takes to find love, online, offline, and on Facebook.
Wishing you much love and joy in cyberspace, on Facebook, or wherever you may roam.
From creating Irresistible Profiles, to listening to your date updates in 15 Magic Minutes, and with our exciting promotion with ProFlowers, where five lucky winners will be receiving stunning roses to send to someone they’ve got a crush on, or to keep for themselves.
The five winners of the Romance and Roses Contest are:
Alex Shapiro – @AlexShapiroPR
Kerianne Mellott – @keri_mellott
Cija Black – @modernloveguide
Each winner will receive one of three choices in a romantic rose bouquet from ProFlowers.com. Even if you didn’t win the free roses, during National Romance Awareness Month, you can save up to 50% off a large variety of flowers and roses. Visit ProFlowers.com/Romance to find the perfect floral bouquet for you.
Still need a little more romance in your life? Now through the end of the month, we’ll be giving 10 winners a day 15 Magic Minutes for FREE! That’s right. We know that you could be frustrated with dating, or that your profile could use a second set of eyes.
You can enter by following @JulieSpira and tweeting @JulieSpira I’d like to win 15 Magic Minutes. #romancemonth.
Increase your chances of winning by posting to our Facebook page and let us know why you want to win 15 Magic Minutes.
Enter here for your chance to speak with Cyber-Dating Expert Julie Spira via phone or Skype for free with your dating questions during National Romance Awareness Month.
From August 19-31, 20 lucky singles will have the chance to win the Cyber-Dating Expert 15 Magic Minutes service completely free.
That’s right! Do you have a burning question about your love life, did you have a bad date last night? Confused about his or her text messages? Have a bit of a bump on the road in your relationship? All these questions and more will be answered by Julie Spira, the country’s top online dating expert and digital matchmaker.
Enter here for your chance to speak to Julie via phone or Skype. This offer is valid in the United States and Canada for singles and couples 21+.
In between is one of my favorite holidays to celebrate with or without a date. This is St. Patrick’s Day.
Although I’m not Irish, I always wear something green, change my Twitter photo to include a leprechaun hat and hope that I’ll have the luck as a friend of the Irish.
Whether you know the history of St. Patrick or not, it’s the perfect time to brush up on your flirting skills to get ready for spring fever. With St. Patrick’s Day on a Sunday, you can start celebrating early and make it a weekend event.
To get into the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, you don’t need to be Irish. If you practice these expert dating and flirting skills, you’ll likely have a date on your calendar before the weekend is over, or will enjoy the time together with the object of your affection.
Online Dating and Flirting
1. Log onto your online dating site and change your profile photo to wearing something green.
2. Revise your headline or first sentence of your profile to days, “Kiss me if you’re Irish.”
3. Send a text message the the person you’ve had a crush on to say “Happy St. Patrick’s Day. Even if they aren’t Irish, chances are they’ll reply to you.
4. Sign up for eHarmony’s free communication weekend from March 14 – 18 (5 Full Days! #af)
Offline Dating and Flirting
5. If you have a date on the calendar, pick up a green carnation for him or her. Although receiving carnations might appear tacky on Valentine’s Day, a month later it’s fine. Suggest going to a St. Patrick’s Day parade together.
6. Set up a coffee date and order the green tea Frappuccino at Starbucks or meet at an ice cream shop and grab a mint-chocolate ice cream cone.
7. If an Irish pub and drinking green beer isn’t your thing, go to a sushi bar or your favorite Japanese restaurant and sip on some hot green tea and order green-tea ice cream for dessert.
Keep in mind St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect time to practice the art of flirting. Go ahead and wear that flashing green button to draw attention to yourself. If you are not one to visit a local pub, go to a public place and wear green and start smiling. You have permission to do it all.
Do you have plans to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this year?
Julie Spira is an online dating expert, bestselling author of The Perils of Cyber-Dating, and is the CEO of CyberDatingExpert.com. She creates irresistible profiles for singles on the dating scene. For online dating advice, follow @JulieSpira on Twitter and at Facebook.com/CyberDatingExpert