Online Dating Resolutions for the New Year
Online dating sites are booming in anticipation of the New Year and for those who are still hopeful that they might find a last minute date to toast to at midnight.
Perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate how you approach Internet dating, so you’ll have a better experience and can become the next success story in the Cyber Love Story of the Week.
As good as your intentions are while making your list, like many New Year’s resolutions, after a few weeks you typically lose momentum and dieting and dating patterns will start to diminish. You’ll probably end up spending more time checking your friends’ facebook activity then focusing on logging on to Match, eHarmony, or OkCupid. Finding love online ends up moving down on your list of daily activities.
When you decide it’s time to make finding love a priority, here are some dating resolutions we think you’ll be able to keep.
1. Sign up for 1-2 online dating sites. If you’re already on a mainstream site, why not take your profile and associated photos and post them on a niche site that focuses on some of your passions? Remember to change the primary photo, screen name and the order of the paragraphs on your profile so it isn’t a complete copy-cat.
2. Sign on daily to read emails and see who the site matches you up with. We know you’re logging onto Facebook for 45 minutes to one hour a day, so why not carve out some of that time to devote to your dating sites? If your inbox is empty, go ahead and see who the site has matched you up with, or notice who has viewed your profile and winked or flirted with you. Another benefit: Some people search specifically for those online, or who had signed on within the last 24 hours to 3 days. You’ll be found much easier in the crowded digital playing field.
3. Write to 5 people a day. Does the squeaky wheel get the digital love deal? We think so. Depending on your age and the site, often ten outbound emails might result in only one response. Try to find at least five people every day that you think you’d connect with, or at least enjoy their company. After all, online dating is a numbers game.
4. Refresh your profile weekly. Active Facebook users often upload a new photo every few days. Why not find one of your favorite shots and add it to your dating profile to keep it fresh? Take it a step further and post a new event that you’re excited to be attending. Otherwise, your profile will become stale. Looking for a date to go to a hockey game? Mention it in your profile and see the responses you’ll get. Still stumped? Change the order of your sentences and you’ll be more likely to show up higher in a search.
5. Reach out and reconnect. Did you get too busy during the year with day-to-day activities or did your relationship recently run it’s course? Perhaps you missed out on meeting someone you started to communicate with online. Take a look in your Inbox and see if he or she still has an active online dating profile. Reach out and send an email with a simple, “Happy New Year” as a digital ice-breaker If their profile is still online, assume they haven’t met “the one” yet. It may be a time for a new beginning for both of you.
Remember, the period from New Year’s through Valentine’s Day is when singles will either join an online dating site for the first time, or renew their memberships. Most sites have an increase in membership by an average of 10% or more from now through Valentine’s Day. It’s peak season in the dating world. You need to play to win, or in this case, log on to find love.
If you need some extra handholding, I will work with you privately to create an irresistible online dating profile, complete with a catchy screen name so you can stand out in the crowded digital playing field.
Let’s make 2013 the year to fall in love online.
Julie Spira is a top online dating expert and the author of The Perils of Cyber-Dating. For more online dating tips and advice, sign up for the Weekly Flirt, follow Julie on Twitter @Julie Spira and at Facebook.com/CyberDatingExpert.
Photo credit: Thibault Renard – Fotolia.com